Over the summer in the wake of protests against racial injustice, we outlined a continuation of our promised action to combat racial violence, speak out against systemic racism, and stand with Black Lives Matter. As we move into a new year, we are steadfast in that commitment and would like to share a resolution on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion passed by our Board of Directors.
Whereas, the mission of the Montrose Center (the “Center”) is to empower its community—primarily lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) individuals and their families—to live healthier, more fulfilling lives; and
Whereas to fulfill its mission, the Center must serve all individuals within its community; and
Whereas, the Board of Directors of the Montrose Center (the “Board”) recognizes that the disproportionate murders of Black lives have resulted in a reckoning within the United States and around the world with respect to racial injustice; and
Whereas, the Board condemns the murders of Trans lives, particularly Trans people of color; and
Whereas, the Board condemns all acts of brutality against people of color; and
Whereas, the Board condemns racism in all of its forms, including systems of power that disadvantage people of color; and
Whereas, the Board recognizes the lives of racial, sexual, and gender minorities matter; and
Whereas, the Board supports the Center’s commitment to social justice through policies and practices that further diversity, equity, and inclusion in its programs and services; and
Whereas, for the Center to fulfill its mission, the Board recognizes that it must act to ensure that its members bring to the governance of the Center voices that are diverse and inclusive, reflecting the individuals that the Center serves;
Now, therefore, be it RESOLVED as follows:
- The Board recommits itself fully to the critical work of the diversity, equity, and inclusion, both within the Board and within the Center.
- The Board will recruit, elect, and onboard members in such a way as to ensure that the racial composition of the Board reflects the racial composition of the community served by the Center.
- The President of the Board will establish and does hereby establish a Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Task Force (“DEI Task Force”) charged with evaluating the Board’s progress toward its goals with respect to diversity, equity, and inclusion and ensuring the accountability of the Board with respect to such goals.
- The DEI Task Force’s work shall include, but shall not be limited to:
a. Ensuring that the strategic goals for the Center established by the Board and include goals with respect to diversity, equity, and inclusion, and
b. Developing plans for partnering with stakeholders, including communities of color, to determine ways in which the Board may ensure that the strategic direction of the Center advances racial equity.
- While diversity, equity, and inclusion are long-term goals, the Board commits to act with urgency, prioritizing its diversity, equity, and inclusion goals and undertaking specific actions that are meant to lead to measurable change.
Adopted this the 17th day of December 2020.
A version of the statement signed by our Board President and Secretary can be found here.